We all know peanuts have a lot of health benefits. A 2 tablespoon serving of peanut butter contains 7 grams of clean protein. High in potassium, which lowers the risk of high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease. Peanut butter contains the same ratio of saturated to unsaturated fats as olive oil, says Harvard Medical School which mean peanut butter contains a lot of good fat to help you lose weight as well.
But sadly most peanut butter that we buy from supermarket is full of sugar and additives. Making your own peanut butter is very straight forward, extremely quick, easy and can be done in less than 20 minutes. You can double this peanut butter recipe and make a bigger batch to last you a couple weeks.
Please note that homemade peanut butter recipe won’t be incredibly smooth like some brands in the stores, but it tastes and smells soooo much better in my opinion. We’ll keep the ingredients very simple, clean and fresh.
You can incorporate this peanut butter recipe into both savory and sweet dishes, so for now I keep this peanut butter recipe very simple and pure. More recipes are coming your way! If you have a nut allergy, please stay with us, homemade Tahini, or sesame paste, is coming soon!
Easy Homemade Classic Peanut Butter Recipe
5 – 10 minutes
Less than 20 minutes
- 3 cups Raw, shelled peanut
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tbsp peanut oil or any light oil (i’m using rice bran oil)
- 2 tbsp honey or liquid sweetener (**optional)
- Add your raw peanuts to a tray and bake it for 10-15 minutes at 180C / 350F.
- Remove the peanuts from the oven and put them in a food processor when they are still warm (but not too hot. I found that they cool down pretty fast – around 5 minutes).
- Pulse the food processor for a couple minutes til the mixture becomes grainy like sand. Then increase the speed to medium until the mixture starting to thicken up slightly – approx. another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sea salt and oil to food processor(at this point you can also add your honey or any other ingredients to flavor).
- Now, switch around between high and low speed until the mixture turn silky and smooth. You might need to stop to scrape the sides down or give your food processor a rest along the way – make sure it won’t get too hot! This process should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Store in airtight container and keep it in the fridge to prevent the oil to get rancid. This peanut butter will last around 2-3 weeks.
** There you have it! Your own homemade, clean and delicious peanut butter in less than 30 minutes **
- If you prefer your peanut butter on the sweet side. You can add 2 tbsp of honey or any liquid sweetener or even melted chocolate at the same time you add salt to flavor things up!
- If you toast your peanut and leave it out for too long pop them in the oven for 2 minutes before you blend them. Blending the nuts while they are still warm can ease the processing.
- If you prefer raw nut butter, feel free to skip the oven process.
- In the blending process, it might seem like it’s not going to become smooth, just keep blending. After a couple minutes the mixture will get more and more runny and silky. It will them thicken up and get more solid after you put it in the fridge.
** Cheeky tips:
If you buy pre toasted peanut from the store. Just warm it for 2 minutes in oven. You can probably get this done in less than 5 minutes!